- Advertisement -
The Sony Xperia Pro was first announced alongside the Xperia 1 II and Xperia 10 II in February last year but the phone wasn’t available. The company has now officially launched the Xperia Pro in the U.S. The phone arrives as Sony’s first 5G phone for the U.S market.
Sony is targeting professional; users who can deploy the phone’s HDMI input to turn the device into an external camera monitor. Also, the 5G connectivity can be used to quickly upload or live-stream footage.
Apart from the HDMI input and US 5G support, the Xperia Pro’s hardware is no different from that of the Xperia 1 II. The Xperia 1II launched in the US with 4G only while in Europe, it came with 5G support. This model will subsequently not be launched in Europe, according to Sony.
Specs-wise, the Xperia Pro features a 6.5-inch OLED display with a tall 21:9 aspect ratio and sub-4K resolution of 3840 x 1644 pixels. The device is powered by the good old Snapdragon 865 processor and packs a decent 4,000mAh battery. At the rear aspect, the phone features 12-megapixel wide, telephoto, and ultrawide cameras.
The HDMI input is located on the bottom of the phone while the USB-C port is shifted to the left to ensure the HDMI port is centered. Sony says it’s capable of taking up to a 4K 60fps HDR video stream and should work with any cameras that have an HDMI output to give you a clearer view of what is being photographed.
Further, the Xperia Pro supports both Sub-6GHz and mmWave 5G, and Sony claims that it has a unique four-way mmWave antenna array to maximize reception. There’s also a built-in network visualizer app that can be assigned to its shortcut key to help you find the best position to get a signal.
Sony Xperia Pro 5G Specifications
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48, 66
- 5G bands: 2, 5, 66, 260, 261 Sub6, mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2020, February 24
- Status: Available. Released 2021, January 27
- Dimensions: 170.2 x 76.2 x 10.2 mm (6.70 x 3.00 x 0.40 in)
- Weight: 225.1 g (7.94 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 6), glass back (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum frame
- Colors: Black
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP65/IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type: OLED, 1B colors, HDR BT.2020
- Size: 6.5 inches, 98.6 cm2 (~76.0% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1644 x 3840 pixels, 21:9 ratio (~643 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- Android 10
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 12GB
- Internal Storage: 512GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- UFS 3.X
- Main Camera: Quad
- 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm (wide), 1/1.7″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 70mm (telephoto), 1/3.4″, 1.0µm, PDAF, 3x optical zoom, OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 124˚, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.55″, Dual Pixel PDAF
- 0.3 MP, TOF 3D, (depth)
- Features: Zeiss optics, LED flash, panorama, HDR, eye tracking
- Video: [email protected]/25/30/60fps HDR, [email protected]/60/120fps; 5-axis gyro-EIS, OIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: [email protected] (5-axis gyro-EIS)
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- 24-bit/192kHz audio
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, aptX HD, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.1; USB On-The-Go, micro HDMI
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass, color spectrum
- Native Sony Alpha camera support
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 21W
- USB Power Delivery
Sony Xperia Pro 5G Price and Availability
The Sony Xperia Pro with 5G is available through Verizon from today, priced at $2,500. The hefty price simply means the phone isn’t for everyone. Sony is targeting professional.
There will be unlocked 4G models as well with undisclosed pricing.
- Advertisement -