Today, at its virtual Galaxy Unpacked 2021 event, Samsung took the wrap off the much-anticipated Galaxy S21 series comprising the standard Galaxy S21 5G, Galaxy 21 Plus and the Galaxy S21 Ultra.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus 5G
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
The Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G is larger when compared to the standard version with a 6.7-inches display. It’s only a tenth smaller than Ultra’s screen and since it’s flat, it may even look larger side by side. Also, the Plus gets a back panel that is made of actual glass.
The S21+ has only one other advantage over its vanilla sibling – Ultra Wide Band (UWB) support. This allows for faster local phone-to-phone data transfers and has direction-sensing capabilities used with tracking tags.
Beyond that, the phones are the same. They get the same memory options too, with a disappointing 8GB of RAM as the standard and only option. Not that you need 12GB of RAM, but even the S10 had 8GB.
As for storage, you get 128GB as standard and can opt into 256GB. This will be all the storage you have as besides removing the charger, Samsung also dropped the microSD slot. Again, few people need more than 256GB, but there’s no upside in removing the slot.
The two chipsets in question are the Snapdragon 888 and Exynos 2100, of course, once again dividing the world into zones of exclusive availability. There are no 4G-only versions this time around. The good news for Exynos-land is that the two chips are fabbed at the same foundries and use many of the same ARM-designed parts.
Talking about the camera department, the main camera uses a 12MP sensor with large 1.8µm pixels and Dual Pixel AF, same as last year. It sits behind an f/1.8 lens with OIS. Strangely, the 12MP ultrawide-angle (120°) lacks autofocusing abilities.
The 64MP camera is back to serve double duty. In photo mode, it offers 3X lossless zoom (with autofocus and OIS) and up to 30x “Space Zoom”. In video mode, it can record in 8K resolution at 30fps this time.
It also has a battery of 4,800 mAh capacity with 25W support.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- CDMA 800 / 1900 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2021, January 14
- Status: Exp. release 2021, February
- Dimensions: 161.5 x 75.6 x 7.8 mm (6.36 x 2.98 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 200 g (Sub6), 202 g (mmWave) (7.05 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), plastic back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Phantom Black, Phantom Silver, Phantom Violet, Phantom Pink, Phantom Gold, Phantom Red
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Stylus support
- Type: Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1300 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.7 inches, 107.8 cm2 (~88.3% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~394 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Always-on display
- Android 11, One UI 3.5
- Exynos 2100 (5 nm) – International
- Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm) – USA/China/Korea
- Octa-core (1×2.9 GHz Cortex-X1 & 3×2.80 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.2 GHz Cortex-A55) – International
- Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680 – USA/China/Korea
- Mali-G78 MP14 – International
- Adreno 660 – USA/China/Korea
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.76″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 64 MP, f/2.0, 28mm (telephoto), 1/1.76″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS, 1.1x optical zoom, 3x hybrid zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 13mm, 120˚ (ultrawide), 1/2.55″ 1.4µm, Super Steady video
- Features: LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], HDR10+, stereo sound rec., gyro-EIS & OIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/3.24″, 1.22µm, Dual Pixel PDAF
- Features: Dual video call, Auto-HDR
- Video: [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]
- Radio: FM radio (Snapdragon model only; market/operator dependent)
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- Tuned by AKG
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.2, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, ultrasonic), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Samsung DeX, Samsung Wireless DeX (desktop experience support)
- Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4800 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 25W
- USB Power Delivery 3.0
- Fast Qi/PMA wireless charging 15W
- Reverse wireless charging 4.5W
Models: SM-G996B, SM-G996B/DS
Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus 5G Price and Availability
The Samsung Galaxy S21+ start at €1,050/£950 and will be available for pre-order from tomorrow until January 29 when it will go into stores. If you order before then, you will receive a pair of Galaxy Buds Live and a Samsung SmartTag for free.