Today, Samsung unveiled the much-anticipated Galaxy S21 series which comprises the standard Galaxy S21 5G, Galaxy 21 Plus and the Galaxy S21 Ultra.
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
The Samsung Galaxy S21 5G comes with a 6.2-inches display, making it one of the more compact flagships around. And while it has Gorilla Glass Victus guarding the screen, the back gets the “glasstic” treatment as if this was an A-series phone.
With the Ultra having the clear technological superiority, the Galaxy S21 and S21+ offer to fill smaller pockets and smaller budgets instead. In fact, these two are €50 cheaper than their 2020 predecessors (if you look at the 5G models).
Talking about the camera department, the main camera uses a 12MP sensor with large 1.8µm pixels and Dual Pixel AF, same as last year. It sits behind an f/1.8 lens with OIS. Strangely, the 12MP ultrawide-angle (120°) lacks autofocusing abilities.
The 64MP camera is back to serve double duty. In photo mode, it offers 3X lossless zoom (with autofocus and OIS) and up to 30x “Space Zoom”. In video mode, it can record in 8K resolution at 30fps this time.
Also, battery capacity remains at 4,000 mAh, which didn’t last long on the 2020 model. This year, however, Samsung is employing two 5nm chipsets and the Adjustable Refresh Rate display to help reduce power usage.
The two chipsets in question are the Snapdragon 888 and Exynos 2100, of course, once again dividing the world into zones of exclusive availability. There are no 4G-only versions this time around. The good news for Exynos-land is that the two chips are fabbed at the same foundries and use many of the same ARM-designed parts.
Samsung Galaxy S21 5G Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (Dual SIM model only)
- CDMA 800 / 1900 & TD-SCDMA
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE
- 5G bands: SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (CA), 5G
- Announced: 2021, January 14
- Status: Exp. release 2021, February
- Dimensions: 151.7 x 71.2 x 7.9 mm (5.97 x 2.80 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 169 g (Sub6), 171 g (mmWave) (5.96 oz)
- Build: Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), plastic back, aluminum frame
- Colors: Phantom Gray, Phantom White, Phantom Violet, Phantom Pink
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Stylus support
- Type: Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 120Hz, HDR10+, 1300 nits (peak)
- Size: 6.2 inches, 94.1 cm2 (~87.2% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~421 ppi density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
- Always-on display
- Android 11, One UI 3.5
- Exynos 2100 (5 nm) – International
- Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm) – USA/China/Korea
- Octa-core (1×2.9 GHz Cortex-X1 & 3×2.80 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.2 GHz Cortex-A55) – International
- Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680 – USA/China/Korea
- Mali-G78 MP14 – International
- Adreno 660 – USA/China/Korea
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: No
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Triple
- 12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.76″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- 64 MP, f/2.0, 28mm (telephoto), 1/1.76″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS, 1.1x optical zoom, 3x hybrid zoom
- 12 MP, f/2.2, 13mm, 120˚ (ultrawide), 1/2.55″ 1.4µm, Super Steady video
- Features: LED flash, auto-HDR, panorama
- Video: [email protected], [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], HDR10+, stereo sound rec., gyro-EIS & OIS
- Selfie Camera: Single – 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/3.24″, 1.22µm, Dual Pixel PDAF
- Features: Dual video call, Auto-HDR
- Video: [email protected]/60fps, [email protected]
- Radio: FM radio (Snapdragon model only; market/operator dependent)
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Audio 3.5mm jack: No
- 32-bit/384kHz audio
- Tuned by AKG
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6e, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 3.2, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, ultrasonic), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Samsung DeX, Samsung Wireless DeX (desktop experience support)
- Bixby natural language commands and dictation
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 25W
- USB Power Delivery 3.0
- Fast Qi/PMA wireless charging 15W
- Reverse wireless charging 4.5W
Models: SM-G991B, SM-G991B/DS
Samsung Galaxy S21 5G Price and Availability
The Samsung Galaxy S21 start at €850/£770 and will be on pre-order from tomorrow until January 29 when they will go into stores. If you order before then, you will receive a pair of Galaxy Buds Live and a Samsung SmartTag for free.