The OnePlus 9 is an amazing smartphone that parades a premium body design with an impressive camera set-up. The device is the direct successor of the OnePlus 8 which was announced last year.
OnePlus 9 Key Specs & Features
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
- 6.55 inches Fluid AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~402 ppi)
- Android 11, OxygenOS 11
- Octa-core Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm)
- 8GB RAM, 12GB RAM
- 128GB, 256GB Built-in Storage
- 48 MP + 50 MP + 2 MP Triple Rear Cameras
- 16 MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint (under display, optical)
- 4G LTE Network
- 5G Network
- Fast Charging 65W
- Fast Wireless Charging 15W
- USB Power Delivery
- Non-Removable Li-Po 4500 mAh Battery
Design and Display
a simple look on the phone reveals a bold and new design by OnePlus. The handset is built with high-end materials that have glass both on the back and front. It packs nice color options to choose from but will depend on your region.
However, we find the Winter Mist color amazing as it showcases an industry-first gradient refraction effect. The maker also makes use of reflective glass on the panel coupled with a neutral palette transitions relaxing the mix and gives a compelling luminous finish.
Another color option is the Astral Black that looks simple but yet classic. This color was achieved with a glossy glass bonded with the matte film and it creates dark blue-black hues.
Further, the smartphone arrives in a 6.55″ Fluid AMOLED Display providing ultra-smooth scrolling in every frame alongside a 120 Hz panel. This flat screen has a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels and it supports an Always-on display.
The OnePlus 9 screen display will bring high absolute color, image contrast, and intensity scale accuracy. Together with the hyper-fast OLED and the 120 Hz screen refresh rate, users will enjoy an improved response time when scrolling, watching videos, and gaming.
As for the camera, the OnePlus co-developed it with Hasselblad. The Hasselblad Camera for Mobile is designed to deliver the best shots ever. For example, it brings Natural Color Calibration which offers an incredibly authentic color and the most natural skin tone reproduction.
The first snapper is a 49 MP Sony IMX689, 1/1.43”, 23mm, ƒ/1.8, 7P plus 50 MP ultra-wide camera that has Sony IMX766, 1/1.56”, 14mm, ƒ/2.2, Freeform Lens, 7P and lastly is 2 MP monochrome lens. The primary camera features advanced imaging technologies such as 2×2 OCL, 12-bit RAW, dual ISO, and 3-HDR.
The camera helps to take shorter focus speeds photos with higher color accuracy and higher dynamic range. Its secondary ultrawide camera will deliver wide-angle detail and clarity together with a 14mm focal length. It supports 8K videos quality while the front camera of 16 MP has Auto-HDR.
Hardware and Software
On the hardware, the OnePlus 9 is engineered for Fast and Smooth performance. It comes with an ultra-powerful Snapdragon 888 based on 5nm process technology which is the world’s most powerful chipset.
The SOC has eight cores. One is Cortex-X1 clocking at 2.84 GHz, another three Cortex A78 is running at 2.42 GHz speed while the remaining four energy-efficient Cortex-A55 cores are performing at 1.8Ghz. The chip will deliver 25% higher performance compared to Snapdragon 860 available on the OnePlus 8.
The Andreno 660 GPU is paired with Hexagon 780 DSP/NPU featuring a faster rendering speed of 35% than the previous GPU. The handset has an inbuilt storage of up to 256GB and a huge 12GB of RAM.
What’s more, there is an OnePlus Cool Play which is a multi-layered cooling system designed with a graphite layer and a larger vapor chamber that direct heats away from key thermal components. This way, users can enjoy a fast, smooth and cool performance even when gaming or multitasking.
The OnePlus 9 is fueled by a non-removable battery of 4500 mAh with support for Warp Charge 65T. The warp charge doubles the charging speed and can power the device from 0% to 100% in just 29 minutes.
It’s also compatible with devices that support USB PD (Power Delivery) and it’s safer and more versatile. There is also Fast wireless charging 15W and USB Power Delivery.
Network and Connectivity
The OnePlus 9 is integrated with X60 5G Modem system that provides the fastest 5G mobile connectivity. It’s built with the first 5nm baseband architecture and uses advanced 5G carrier aggregation across FDD and TDD.
It has a speed of 7.5Gbps for mmWave and 5Gbps for sub-6GHz. There is Bluetooth 5.2, Wi-Fi 6, OxygenOS 11 based on Android 11, and an under-display fingerprint scanner.
OnePlus 9 Price and Availability
OnePlus 9 price starts at around $729 at leading online stores. In Nigeria, you can get the OnePlus 9 at a price of 295,000 Naira, about 4,500 GHS in Ghana, and 87,000 Ksh in Kenya.
OnePlus 9 Specs
Here are a few specs of the OnePlus 9:
- Platform: Android 11, OxygenOS 11
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 (5 nm), Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680
- GPU: Adreno 660
- Memory: 8GB, 12GB RAM
- Colours: Winter Mist, Arctic Sky, Astral Black
- Dimension: 160 x 74.2 x 8.7 mm
- Weight: 192 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, dual stand-by
- SIM Count: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Display: 6.55 inches Fluid AMOLED Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~402 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Yes, Corning Gorilla Glass
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48 MP, f/1.8, 23mm (wide), 1/1.43″, 1.12µm, omnidirectional PDAF + 50 MP, f/2.2, 14mm (ultrawide), 1/1.56″, 1.0µm + 2 MP, f/2.4, (depth) Triple Cameras, 8K@30fps, 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps, Auto HDR, gyro-EIS
- Rear Camera Features: Hasselblad Color Calibration, dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Front Camera: 16 MP Camera, f/2.4, (wide), 1/3.06″, 1.0µm, Auto-HDR, 1080p@30fps, gyro-EIS
- Built-in Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: Yes
- 2G GSM: Yes, GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes, CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: Yes, HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41, 66 – EU
- 5G: Yes, 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 78 SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB Type-C 3.1, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, SBAS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, (under display, optical)
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: Yes
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Fast charging 65W, 1-100% in 29 min (advertised)