Nokia in the past associated the name Nokia X with many different kinds of phones – multimedia ones, a Microsoft-backed Android phone. HMD Global used the line for Android made for China and now it is all about sustainable 5G smartphones.
The new X series from Nokia are the Nokia X10 and Nokia X20. HMD has pledged full support for three years – this means three years of OS and security updates, but also three-year warranty. As part of HMD’s green initiative, the phones come with an included case that is 100% compostable. Both devices are nearly identical with the camera department being the major difference.
Nokia X20 Specifications
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
The Nokia X20 are both powered by the Snapdragon 480 5G chipset – an 8nm chip with 2x Kryo 460 Gold cores (A76) and 6x small cores, plus an Adreno 619 GPU. That’s the same GPU as the S750G, so the chip actually punches above its 400-series branding. The X20 gets the more spacious memory configurations, 6/128GB and 8/128GB compared to the X10. However, both models supports microSD cards up to 512GB (but note that it’s a hybrid dual-SIM slot).
Both X-phones have 6.67” LCDs with 1,080 x 2,400 px resolution. These have average brightness (450 nits) and color gamut coverage (82% NTSC) and lack any fancy stuff like a high refresh rate or even strengthened glass. At least you get a screen protector with the retail package.
The camera section is the highlight of the Nokia X20. It has a 64MP main camera on the rear – complete with ZEISS optics, of course, plus tools to color grade photos. The S480 chip tops out at 1080p video capture, so don’t expect anything more from this cam.
Next up is the 5MP ultrawide-angle camera. With the Dual Sight feature you can snap photos and record videos using two cameras simultaneously. The viewfinder can be configured as split screen or Picture-in-Picture. All kinds of combos are possible, e.g. the main + ultra wide cameras or even front + macro. The final two modules on the back are a 2MP macro camera and a 2MP depth sensor. The front camera with its 32MP sensor (and a fixed focus lens) is another high mark.
As per connectivity, both phones feature 5G, of course (dual-SIM), plus Wi-Fi 5, Bluetooth 5.0 with aptX HD/Adaptive and NFC. Wired connectivity includes USB-C (USB 2.0) plus a 3.5 mm headphone jack, complete with an FM radio receiver.
Both phones use the same 4,470 mAh battery, which comes with HMD’s standard promise of two-day battery life. For charging they both support 18W. In some regions the X20 will get a charger in its retail package, the X10 will always come with a USB-C cable only.
The two phones gets close to stock Android 11 out of the box and you won’t have to worry about updates anytime soon. On their sides there are a fingerprint reader and a Google Assistant Button.
Nokia X20 Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 28, 66, 38, 39, 40, 41
- 5G bands: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 28, 38, 41, 66, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, April 08
- Status: Exp. release 2021, May
- Dimensions: 168.9 x 79.7 x 9.1 mm (6.65 x 3.14 x 0.36 in)
- Weight: 220 g (7.76 oz)
- Colors: Midnight Sun, Nordic Blue
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD, 400 nits (typ)
- Size: 6.67 inches, 107.4 cm2 (~79.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio (~395 ppi density)
- Android 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM4350 Snapdragon 480 5G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Kryo 460 & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 460)
- GPU: Adreno 619
- Storage: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, (wide), PDAF
- 5 MP, (ultrawide)
- 2 MP, (macro)
- 2 MP, (depth)
- Features: Zeiss optics, LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video: 4K@30fps (unconfirmed), 1080p@30fps
- Selfie Camera: Single – 32 MP, (wide)
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: FM Radio
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 4470 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 18W
Nokia X20 Price and Availability
The Nokia X20 starts at €350, and will be available from May. The phone comes in Midnight Sun, Nordic Blue color options.