Just as promised, the Lenovo-owned company has unveiled the Motorola Edge S in China. The handset is the world’s first Snapdragon 870 smartphone and it not only packs a punch in terms of performance but it also tops it with a big battery capacity and a total number of six cameras.
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
The Motorola Edge S doesn’t have a curved display as suggested by its name. The screen is flat and is home to a double hole punch for two front-facing cameras. However, the back of the phone is curved and it is home to four cameras arranged in a fashion similar to a gas cooker. The phone has an NVCM coating and is available in two colors – Emerald Glaze and Emerald Light.
The Motorola Edge S is built around a 6.7-inch LCD screen with a 90Hz refresh rate and a 21:9 aspect ratio. The screen’s resolution is 2520 x 1080 and it has a PPI of 409, HDR10, and a DCI-P3 color gamut.
The Snapdragon 870 processor brings an improvement in performance over its predecessors. Its CPU performance is said to be 12% higher than that of the Snapdragon 865 while GPU performance has increased by 10%.
Motorola claimed that the Edge S scores higher than the Mi 10 on AnTuTu.
Its overall score on the benchmarking platform is 680,826 points as against the Mi 10’s 585,232 points.
That high score is not only due to the new processor but also as a result of the Turbo LPDDR5 RAM which is 72% faster than LPDDR4 and also the UFS 3.1 storage which is 25% faster than UFS 3.0.
The four cameras on the back of the phone include a 64MP f/1.7 camera, a 16MP 121° ultrawide angle camera that also doubles as a 2.8CM macro camera, a 2MP depth camera for taking better portrait images, and a TOF camera that has a light ring around it. The selfie cameras are a 16MP sensor and an 8MP 100° ultrawide angle camera.
The camera packs a number of features including a vlog mode, night mode, and ca record in 6K video at 30 fps and in 4K at 60 fps. The phone also has Audio Zoom so you can get in closer to the source of a sound when recording just as you would zoom in with a camera to get closer to your subject.
The Motorola Edge S doesn’t come with ZUI but a new user interface called MY UI that is based on Android 11. Motorola says it is lighter and is more efficient. It has its own assistant called moto AI. Some of the features it has include a desktop mode, object recognition, and a split-screen feature that can be activated easily by swiping the side-mounted fingerprint scanner. Motorola’s famous gestures are not gone, so you can still activate silent mode by doing a triple chop, turn on and off the flash with a double chop, and quickly enter the camera app with a quick flick of your wrist twice.
Motorola Edge S has an audio jack and a USB-C port that charges the 5000mAh battery at 20W. It also has an IP52 rating, dual SIM support, Bluetooth 5.1, and dual-frequency GPS.
Motorola Edge S Specifications
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- CDMA 800
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- CDMA2000 1x
- 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 26, 28, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 66
- 5G bands: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 41, 66, 77, 78 SA/NSA
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G
- Announced: 2021, January 26
- Status: Exp. release 2021, February 03
- Dimensions: 168.4 x 74 x 9.7 mm (6.63 x 2.91 x 0.38 in)
- Weight: 215 g (7.58 oz)
- Colors: Blue, Silver
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IP52, splash resistant
- Type: IPS LCD, 90Hz, HDR10, 560 nits (typ)
- Size: 6.7 inches, 104.9 cm2 (~84.1% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2520 pixels, 21:9 ratio (~409 ppi density)
- Android 11
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 870 5G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 6GB, 8GB
- Internal Storage: 128GB, 256GB
- Memory Card slot: microSDXC
- UFS 3.1
- Main Camera: Quad
- 64 MP, f/1.7, (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF
- 16 MP, 121˚ (ultrawide), 1.0µm, PDAF
- 2 MP, (depth)
- TOF 3D
- Dual-LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Video: 6K@30fps, 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60fps, gyro-EIS
- Selfie Camera: Dual
- 16 MP, (wide), 1.0µm
- 8 MP, 100˚ (ultrawide), 1.12µm
- Features: HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Radio: No
- Loudspeaker Yes
- Audio 3.5mm jack: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery Type and Capacity: Li-Po 5000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 20W
Motorola Edge S Price and Availability
The Motorola Edge S is available in three configurations and below are their prices:
- 6GB + 128GB = ¥1999 (~$310)
- 8GB + 128GB = ¥2399 (~$371)
- 8GB + 256GB = ¥2799 (~$433)
The phone which comes in Blue and Silver is already available for pre-order in China.