In the light of the directive given by the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC to the network providers to disconnect all lines that are not linked to the National Identity Number (NIN), we have been able to gather all the processes involved in linking your NIN to your phone number without stepping out of your home or office.
This post concerns majorly subscribers on the four (4) major network providers in the country: 9mobile, Airtel, Glo and MTN. Without much ado, let’s move on.
What Is NIN?
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
First off, what does NIN stand for? According to the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), NIN is a set of numbers assigned to an individual upon successful enrolment. Enrolment consists of the recording of an individual’s demographic data and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture and digital signature, which are all used to cross-check existing data in the National Identity Database to confirm that there is no previous entry of the same data.
As such if you do not have it, you have to visit the nearest NIMC office to register as soon as possible.
For those who have enrolled or registered but yet to to be issued the temporary slip or misplaced the NIN number, instead of stressing yourself to the NIN office to get it, you can simply do that with the aid of the newly introduced USSD code. The National Identification Number (NIN) is a set of numbers (usually 11 in number) that is assigned to a user individual upon successful enrollment for the National Identification System by NIMC.
You can link your MTN line to your NIN via the below methods (USSD, Webpage and MyMTN App)
- Dial *785# using the phone number you wish to link
- Select 1 and enter your NIN and submit or dial *785*Your NIN# from the phone number you wish to link. The number will be linked to your NIN automatically
- Visit https://mtnonline.com/nin/ and fill in the required details.
- After filling in your details, you will be sent an OTP code to type in the next page
- Simply go to your app store and download MyMTN App to submit your NIN details.
Note: You can then dial *346# to confirm if it has been linked.
To link your Glo number to your NIN, simply an SMS containing your NIN, first name and last name to 109 ((Send “UpdateNIN, NIN, FirstName, LastName to 109). For example;
- Type UPDATENIN, NIN, Chidera, Abdul and send it to 109
Remember to dial *346# to confirm if your line has successfully been linked.
Just like MTN, you can also link your Airtel phone number line to your NIN via the below methods (USSD and Webpage.
- Dial *121*1# using the Airtel phone number you wish to link and enter your NIN and submit. The number is expected to be linked to your NIN automatically
- Visit https://www.airtel.com.ng/nin/ and fill in the required details.
- After filling in your details, you will be sent an OTP code to type in the next page.
For 9mobile subscribers, the mobile operator admonished its customers that are yet to get NIN to visit an enrolment center to do the needful. However, we are yet to get any info on the linking. That will be done as soon as we get something on that.
Dial *346# from your 9mobile line to check your NIN status. Stay tune for more update.
If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it on Twitter, Facebook or Whatsapp it to friends. There are buttons below for this (easy to use too)! Join Over 5,000 + Readers. Get a free daily update via Email HERE