To meet the NCC directive to update all SIM registration records with National Identity Number before the end of December 2020, it is absolutely compulsory to get your NIN as quickly as possible. If you are not aware, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) recently issued a statement to inform Nigerians about a new directive regarding SIM card ownership and registration in the country.
As per the directive, every SIM registration record must be updated with each individual’s NIN before the end of December 2020, failure to do so, the erring SIM card would be blocked once the deadline elapses. To avoid that, see The Fastest Way To Get Your NIN In Nigeria:
You Might Also Want To Read:How To Link NIN to MTN, Airtel, Glo and 9mobile (2021)
How Can I Register For National Identity Card And Get My NIN?
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
- Access the NIMC Enrolment form here, then complete and print the NIN pre-enrolment form.
- Head to the closest NIMC Registration Centre with your printed slip and all required supporting documents.
- At the Enrolment Center, you will be sent to a counter where the Enrolment Officer will carry out the verification of your details.
- If your application is valid, the Enrolment officer will tell you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (fingerprints and photo).
- You will then receive a Transaction ID Slip as proof that you have been processed.
- The regular time frame for issuance of the National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is two to three working days from when the biometric details were captured at enrolment centers.
- The issuance of NIN might take longer in specific cases because of the validation of details at NIMC.
- The Transaction ID Slip should be kept carefully by applicants because it has to be presented when you go to collect to NIN Slip as it indicates completion of enrolment.
- You will then be given a date for collection.
As soon as your registration is wrapped up, you can check your NIN on your device by dialing *346#, as explained above. You still have to retrieve your physical ID card at your designated NIMC center.
How Can I Get My NIN Via Mobile USSD (If You Are Already Registered)?
You Might Also Want To Read: How To Link my Phone Number With NIN
If you have already done your National Identity Card registration, you already have a NIN. Simply check your temporary slip or National ID card to access it. If you cannot find either of them, just check your NIN by dialing *346# on the mobile number your registered with and your National identity Number will be visible on your phone screen. Simply capture a screenshot or jot it down somewhere for future reference.
Expect to be charged ₦20 by your network, and the service is available on MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile. Some banks also show your NIN in their Internet banking portal and mobile application, therefore you can log in to confirm. GTB is one of such banks.