Ever felt like the Apple Watch was not within reach? Then the Apple Watch SE may just be the Panacea you need. It is a more affordable Apple watch that has the same relationship as the iPhone SE is to standard iPhone series. In order to achieve this more affordable Apple watch, apple had to introduce some short comings, some of which may not be deal breakers for many.
Apple Watch SE Key Specs & Features
Since this is a quiet lengthy article, we have added a table of contents for easier navigation.
- Apple Watch SE Key Specs & Features
- Design and Display
- Fitness / Health Tracking & Software
- Apple Watch SE Price and Availability
- Apple Watch SE Specs
- General Features
- Display & Camera
- Network Support
- Internet & Connectivity
- Sensors & Control
- Other Features
- 1.78 inches LTPO OLED Display, 448 x 368 Pixels, 326 PPI (44mm)
- 1.57 inches LTPO OLED Display, 394 x 324 Pixels, 326 PPI (44mm)
- Dual-Core Apple S5 Processor
- WatchOS 7.0, upgradable to 7.1
- 32GB Built-in Storage
- 1GB RAM
- 50m Water Resistant
- Heart Rate Monitor
- Always-on altimeter
- GPS Navigation
- LTE (Optional)
- Wireless Charging
- Non-Removable 303.8 mAh Li-ion Battery
Design and Display
Aesthically, the Apple Watch SE falls in nearly the same category as its more premium sibling, the Apple watch Series 6. It comes in the same form factor. Its the same round chassis with a display ontop. The Button layout are also the same.
However, enthusiats should note that they will only getting an Alumium finish here, as opposed to the vertaile finishes on the more premium series. This means enthusiats won’t be getting the titanium or stainless steel finish.
The Apple watch SE may not come in different build variants, but it does come in two size variations. Enthusiats will have the option of selecting either 40mm or 44mm.
The 40mm version has a 1.57-inch display with a resolution of 394 x 324 Pixels, while the 44mm version has a 1.74-inch display with a resolution of 448 x 368 pixels.
Please note that both displays have a density of 326 PPI and are based on an retina LTPO OLED panel.
Still speaking on the display, the Apple Watch SE drops the always on display we saw on the Apple watch series 6 and also on the newly released Series.
The fact that SE bears the same LTPO panel that facilitates the always-on display feature and yet doesn’t have the feature, shows that it may be a deliberate move by Apple to reduce cost, in pursuit of a more affordable smartwatch.
The Apple Watch SE may not be a slouch, but it does drop the Apple S6 processor as seen on the Apple Watch Series 6 and opts for the Apple S5 processor which was featured on the series 5 watch.
Also onboard the performance train, is the PowerVR GPU, 1GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage and a battery rated for 18 hours usage.
Fitness / Health Tracking & Software
The fact that the Apple watch SE is a more affordable watch doesn’t really hinder its capabilities in the fitness and health line. However, you should not that it doesn’t feature the newly added blood oxygen tracker as seen on the series 6.
Thanks to the software integration with Watch OS 7, enthusiats have a plethoral of features. Packed in, are features that helps in tracking fitness activities like running, cycling yoga and lots more.
The Apple Watch SE also packs in ECG for health rate monitoring, sleep tracking, which should help you monitor your sleep patterns.
The Apple Watch SE, comes in both GPS and Celluar options. However the option chosen, enthusiasts will have Wi-FI, GPS, NFC connections.
Apple Watch SE Price and Availability
The price of the Apple watch SE starts at $279 for the 40mm GPS only version. This price translates to 106,354 Naira in Nigeria, 1,635 GHC in Ghana and 31,080 KSH in Kenya.
Enthusiasts who decide to go for the top of the line 44mm GPS + Celluar varaint, will have to shell out approximately $359 or higher depending on the strap chosen.
The Apple SE was announced on the 15th of September 2018 and was released for purchase on the 18 of September 2018.
Apple Watch SE Specs
Here are a few specs of the Apple Watch SE:
- Platform: WatchOS 7.0, upgradable to 7.1
- Processor: Dual-core Apple S6
- Memory: 1GB RAM
- Colours: Silver, Gold, Space Gray
- Dimension: 40mm (40 x 34 x 10.4 mm ) – 44mm (44 x 38 x 10.4 mm)
- Weight: 40mm GPS (30.49g) – 40mm GPS + Cellular (30.68g) – 44mm GPS (36.20g) – 44mm GPS + Cellular (36.36g)
- SIM Slot: E-SIM
- Water Resistant: Yes (50m Water Resistant)
- Dustproof: –
- Standalone Calls & SMS: –
- Sync with Phone: Yes
Display & Camera
- Display: 40mm (1.57-inches, 394 x 324 Pixels, 326 PPI ) – 44mm (1.78-inches, 448 x 368 Pixels, 326 PPI ) Retina LTPO OLED,
- Display Protection: Ion-X strengthened glass
- Camera: No
- Built-in Storage: 32GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: –
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 25, 26, 39, 40, 41, 66
- 5G: No
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: –
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: No
- WLAN: 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: –
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: No
- SMS/MMS: –
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: –
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: –
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZS
- Maps: –
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: –
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: –
- Pedometer: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Heart Rate Monitor: Yes (2nd gen)
- Galvanic Skin Response: –
- Skin Temperature Sensor: –
- Capacitive Sensor: –
- UV Sensor: –
- Microphone: –
- Hepatic Vibration Motor: –
- Fitness Apps: Yes
- Image Editor: –
- Video Editor: –
- Image Viewer: –
- Video Viewer: –
- Maximum Operating Altitude: –
- Battery: 40mm (303.8 mAh) – 44mm (265.9 mAh)
- Battery Life: Up to 18hrs
- Wireless Charging: –
- Average Charge Time: –